Monday, May 31, 2010

Independence Day


I have understood from the moment I became a mother that part of my job description was to facilitate independence in my kids.

I have taught them how to;
walk, talk, read, play well with others, look both ways before crossing the street, never talk to strangers, save their money, put family first, never be late, never procrastinate, always do their best, laugh at themselves, always wear sunscreen, look people in the eye, voice their opinions, question authority, never ask for help when they can do it themselves, and hopefully about a million more things that will come in handy at some point in their lives.

Every independent step takes them a little farther away from me, and that's the way it should be.

Sunrise, Sunset.


As pleased as I am with these two fiercely independent kids,

There are days when I would give anything for just one more moment of this
So little, so sweet, and all mine

3 comments:

  1. You are a wonderful mother who has done a fantastic job of fostering independence in her children. Every step might be one step further away, but they always come back. There is no replacement for home and family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes when I feel lost, my little children will come to me in a dream, sit on my lap, and hug me. Hearing Russell's little boy voice again exclaim "Hi Mommy!" so matter-of-factly, brings me to tears of joy. :]
    Each phase is wonderful, but nothing is like those years when they were small.
    <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so sweet. Mine aren't nearly as grown up as yours, but I already find moments when i feel a little of that.

    ReplyDelete