Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Party Planning

The thought of Dagny turning 16 causes me to channel Scarlett O'Hara and say, "I'll think about that tomorrow".  It's all very serious stuff; the idea of parenting a 16 year old, the fact that soon she'll be off to college, the reality that as she gets older so do I... Frankly, my dear, I just don't want to think about it right now. My plan is to procrastinate the soul searching, anxiety, and worry until after her birthday because right now I have a party to plan.  


I love throwing parties for my kids.  All the planning and organizing, it's like crack to me. I have thrown some pretty great parties for them, but all those parties have all been leading up to this one, the big one, the Sweet 16.  


The biggest rule of party planning is that the party should be about the guest of honor.  It's a party for them so it should reflect them.  Dagny isn't ostentatious, she doesn't want over-the-top, she's not about the spectacle or the expense, she just wants something simple and lovely and fun. (she's no diva, I like that about her) I can do that, but we still need a theme to work with.  I came up with a list of ideas for her to choose from, it was quite varied and creative (murder mystery, an evening in Paris, back to the 80's, red carpet, etc...) and it included one that she zeroed in on. It looks like Dagny will be having a "Sweet" 16 party, literally.  She chose a candy theme, and my mind is already reeling at all the fun possibilities. 


Now we have a theme, ("Sweet" 16) a location, (our house), a date,(May 28th) and a size, (around 50) so let the planning begin! Anyone have any good ideas?  

1 comment: