Friday, March 4, 2011

Letting My Geek Flag Fly

a little background -


In '07 I read a book that I thought was absolutely brilliant, I put it on my Facebook page as one of my favorite books. The next day I had a friend request from the author.  I'm used to reading books written by dead guys, a real-life living author as a virtual friend seemed like a very cool thing.  Turns out this guy is way more than a guy who wrote a great book, I started following his blog and found out that not only is he clever and funny and interesting, he worships at the alter of Joss Whedon.  Enough said, I am now a fan for life. 


His second book was just released on March 1st, I spent the last 3 days devouring it, (it's a hefty book, it took even me days to get through it) and I finished it just in time to go to his book signing in San Francisco.  He read an excerpt from the new book, did a Q&A, then graciously signed books.  He was charming throughout the evening and seemed genuinely pleased that people came to see him.  He didn't rush people through the line, he took time to speak to everyone, I had a lovely conversations with him.  When I told him I had finished the new book, he said I was the first person he had met on tour that had accomplished that and he asked what I thought of it. His question was so sincere, he said the book is so newly released he is still nervous about peoples reactions.  How many times in your life will you have the opportunity to sit next to a favorite author and discuss their book with them?  I told him what I thought of the book, we talked about my favorite part, the funniest line, and the scene that broke my heart.  By then he had spent way more time with me than he should, but as he gave me back my books he asked if he could give me a hug.  At that point I was a little bit in love with him, it seemed appropriate. 


Mr. Patrick Rothfuss


If you haven't read The Name Of The Wind and The Wise Man's Fear, trust me, you should get on that right away. Here is a review Dagny did a few years ago of the first book. 

1 comment:

  1. He sounds like a very cool person! I've never been to a book signing...but have always wanted to!

    ReplyDelete