Monday, February 28, 2011

Who Is John Galt?

I named my daughter Dagny, that should give you a clue about my feelings for Atlas Shrugged.  

The current state of the world has caused a renewed interest in Atlas Shrugged (originally published in 1957; sold 500,000 copies in 2009) and therefore the inevitable movie adaptation is upon us. I'm not a fan of movies of my favorite books, I hate when a good book is turned into a bad movie.  The question is, should I go see Atlas Shrugged? Is there any way they can actually do the book justice? Dagny is quite sure that they won't be able to, and has vehemently stated she will not be seeing the movie.  I'm undecided, but I'm leaning toward giving it a chance.

One thing I know that I like, the release date; April 15th, tax day.  Ayn Rand would have got a chuckle out of that.


1 comment:

  1. I doubt the movie will be any good, but hopefully at least it will help promote some of the ideals of individualism and non-aggression. I felt the same way about the movie adaptation of my favorite graphic novel "Watchmen". It turned out the movie was OK, but I still think was unnecessary to try to transpose a masterwork from one medium to another.

    ReplyDelete