Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Totally Lost



For the most part, network TV is a vast wasteland. An exception is the show LOST.  I have watched it from the beginning, and  I think it's one of the best shows that has ever been on television.  The show works for me because I enjoy an intelligent mystery, I like how all the pieces of a puzzle come together and eventually interconnect. Steve is not big on TV, but he has listened to me talk about LOST for the last 5 years and apparantly I have intrigued him. He went out and bought all the DVD's  so we could watch LOST together.  His plan is that we would watch the first 5 seasons on DVD so he would be all caught up and we would be able to watch season 6 together when it starts next year. What he didn't anticipate is that the kids would want to watch with us. When I started watching LOST my kids were obviously too young for it, so I've never thought about it being a show they could watch. Apparently they've grown up in the last 5 years and now they are totally into it. Watching, and talking, about LOST has become a family activity.   We have been watching it everyday for weeks, Steve and the kids are a little obsessed.  If they're not watching it, they're talking about it.  I don't want to ruin the suspense for them so I literally have to bite my tongue when they discuss all their different theories. My biggest frustration is that they get to watch the episodes back to back, they don't have to wait a week, or a month, or a year, to find out what happens next, they get instant gratification.  I kind of hate that.  I had to wait to find out the secrets, so should they. I've lobbied for them to take a break but they're not having it.  I don't think they could handle the suspense. 

3 comments:

  1. That's pretty funny! I am not a big tv watcher either. But, like you, I have one show I enjoy. Last week was the season finale, so now I am in that waiting mode...waiting for the next season to start. I know it will be a couple of months, so I understand how you are feeling! Have fun getting LOST as a family. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a good thing I'm not on the Island typing in the numbers or the world would have ended, seeing how the correct sequence is 4 8 15 16 23 42. I tried to do it from memory, apparently I need to watch more carefully.

    ReplyDelete